If our state is going to hit 100% renewable energy we are going to need offshore wind. The first step in bringing offshore wind to any state is requesting a task force from the federal government (because offshore wind farms are technically in federal waters). Only the governor can request a task force. We have been pushing for Governor Sununu to request this task force since 2016. Here is a quick history:
- In the Summer of 2016 then candidate Sununu said he would move forward if there was community support.
- From February of 2017 to March of 2018 we worked with 20 cities and towns to pass resolutions and warrant articles urging the Governor to move forward on offshore wind.
- In April of 2018 over 100 people delivered letters from the twenty towns that passed resolutions, legislators, and businesses to the Governor.
- Since then we haven’t heard a peep from the Governors’ office about offshore wind, even after repeated request.
In October and November Gov. Sununu will be on the campaign trail trying to win votes. This is a huge opportunity to confront the governor directly about offshore wind.
Upcoming Governor Appearances
- PBVRC October Spaghetti Dinner – Friday October 19, 5:00 PM – American Legion Hall, 37 Main Street, Ashland NH 03217
- 2018 Candidate Series – Monday October 22, 12:00 PM – The Holiday Inn & Suites Nashua 9 Northeastern Blvd., Nashua, NH 03060
- AARP Gubernatorial Candidate Forum – Wednesday, October 24, 11:00 AM – 70 Constitution Avenue, Concord, NH 03301
- NHPR Gubernatorial Forum – Wednesday October 24, 6:00 PM – Manchester Community College Multi-Purpose Room in the Student Center 1066 Front Street Manchester, NH 03102
- Greater Manchester Chamber of Commerce 2018 Gubernatorial Debate – Tuesday October 30, 7:30 AM – Fratello’s 155 Dow Street Manchester